Thursday, December 07, 2006

How they will remember you


Morning, folks. I've been following the Kim Family story since after Thanksgiving - more generically, they were known as the "family stuck in the Oregon woods during a snow storm." I think I followed the story because it resonated with me on a personal level: the father was Asian, they were from the Bay Area and working at a tech company. They had little kids. Sounds like some young families I know. Sounds like any of my Bay Area friends.

Rescuers found the wife, 7 month baby and 4 year old toddler and took them to safety. James had trekked out into the wilderness to seek help. As most of you know, the father, James, did not make it. Their website chronicled their story as it happened. There was a guestbook where people could leave well wishes.

One woman posted a note saying that she had seen an Asian man playing with his daughter outside of the children's boutique they owned near the N Judah (which is a bus route in San Francisco). She had even made purchases in the boutique. When the news broke, it broke her heart. Another person said, "I don't pray, but I'm praying for you now!" Alot of coworkers posted kind words on various blogs and websites especially since he was a bit of a celebrity within the tech circles. During lunch time, I heard the offical announcement that they found him dead, lying in a ravine. I was deeply saddened. Everyone was rooting for him - even total strangers like me.

But what is most interesting is the memoriam that has been written up by his empoyer, CNET. It boasts of his dedication and love to his wife and children. An unflappable friendly nature. Persistence, dedication, hard work. Essentially, they're saying - James Kim had character. Do you know what I mean?

Senior year of college, we were asked to write our own tombstone in our fellowship seminar. We were given three by five pieces of notecards with a tombstone on it. It could fit about 7-10 words. "What would you like to be remembered by?" I was asked. I left it blank. I realize now that I have to know what it should say. Because that is the life I will live up to. And that is the life you will be remembered by.

If you dare, take this challenge. Write a tombstone for yourself in the comments section. Seven to ten words (not including your name, I'll give you a freebie :).

This is mine, take 1!
BORN OUT OF GOD'S GRACE AND LOVE
LIVED OUT JESUS' HEART

3 comments:

Faetryn said...

i know, sad sad news. thx for the link and the challenge. i like the word limit too.

bethany said...

I can see why that story would resonate with you on a lot of levels.
Hm, the tombstone...here's something off the top of my head: Loved God. Loved others. Kissed Life right on the mouth.

ha ha ha...i don't know about that last part, but it was cracking me up as i wrote it, so it's staying for now...and i'm still right at 10...

crazymixedupgirl said...

I followed the story closely and was so sad. So sad. *hugs*